A series of 10 2-6-0 locomotives built in the USA by Baldwin. They had 8-wheel bogie tenders.
lightweight, small-wheeled locomotives were ordered as replacements for some of
the ageing fleet of locomotives in the Construction department of FMSR and
were intended to be used in the construction of the East Coast line.
These lightweight, small-wheeled locomotives were ordered as replacements for some of the ageing fleet of locomotives in the Construction department of FMSR and were intended to be used in the construction of the East Coast line.
Above: Construction Department CD32. Photograph reproduced with permission from the Stephenson Locomotive Society, it is thought to be from the H M le Fleming collection.
Above: 951.07 at Tapah Road in 1955.
|Maker||Number||Date||Original Railway / No||FMSR No.||MR No.||Notes|
|Baldwin||54587||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD25||99 - 234 - 122||951.01||Kra, Op. by RSR to 11/1951|
|Baldwin||54588||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD26||100 - 235 - 125||951.03||Kra, held by RSR to 11/1951|
|Baldwin||54589||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD27||124||Destroyed Kra, by 1945|
|Baldwin||54590||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD28||123||951.02||Kra, held by RSR to 11/1951|
|Baldwin||54591||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD29||126||951.08||Sold 1939, ret 1945, Singapore 58|
|Baldwin||54592||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD30||127 - M2||951.09||found Kra, Scrapped Prai 8/1948|
|Baldwin||54593||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD31||128||951.04||Kra, returned|
|Baldwin||54594||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD32||129||951.05||Kra, returned|
|Baldwin||54595||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD33||130||951.06||Kra, held by RSR to 11/1951|
|Baldwin||54596||1920||FMSR Const dept||CD34||101 - 236 - 131||951.07||Withdrawn 8/1956|
Further notes: Kra line (Tung Song - Kan Tang) is the southern part of the Burma - Siam Railway, north of the border with Malaya. 7 locos (122, 123, 125 & 127-130) were sent there by the Japanese army and 4 (122, 123, 125 & 130) were written off by FMSR in 1946. 122 was later repaired and was seen at Surat Thani on 31 Oct 1946 and shunting at Surat Ferry on 22 Apr 1947. It was derelict at Tung Song on 18 Oct 1949 and was officially sold to RSR in November 1951, who immediately sold it for scrap. 123, 125 and 130 were seen out of use on the Kra line in 1945 and derelict at Chumphorn on 18 Oct 1949. 128 & 129 were returned after the war and 127 was found in Kra in 1946 and returned to Prai where it was scrapped. In addition to these 124 was destroyed during WWII, having reportedly been sent to Kra also. 126 was sold to the Nippon Mining Company in 1939 and reportedly used by the Japanese army on the East Coast line. FMSR re-acquired it after the war and used it to rebuilt the East Coast line until 1953. It was then overhauled and seen at Prai, later going to Singapore as shed pilot until withdrawal and scrapping in 1958.
122, 125 & 131 had all been fitted with vacuum brakes in 1924 and transferred to the main fleet as 99, 100 & 101 for eventual use on the Port Dickson branch, being renumbered 234, 235 & 236 around 1928 before being renumbered with the rest of the class in 1932. After WWII 131 was noted active at various points between Gemas and Prai until withdrawal in 1956.
The above notes were compiled using information supplied by R. Ramaer and Len Stanway
|Wheel arrangement:||4-6-2 with 8-wheel bogie tender.||Boiler pressure:||160 lbs.|
|Fire grate:||13.1 sq. feet.||Heating surface:||761 sq. feet.|
|Fuel capacity:||6 tons.||Water capacity:||1,830 gallons.|
|Max. axle load:||9.45 tons.||Fixed wheel-base:||9 feet 8 in.|
CD 25 - CD 34
122 - 131
951.01 - 951.09
14" x 18"
|A & B classes|
|Burma E and O||C² class|
|M class||O class||P class||Mallet|
Back to Malayan Railways
Page created 12th March 2006.
Last updated 31st October 2008.
This page has been visited times